The weather forecast for the day was sunny, highs in the mid
eighties, and light winds. When I took Riley for his early morning walk I
wondered if they were right. What we saw was heavy cloud cover.
Whenever I dress to ride and start Rex to warm him up I get
the normal silent / shun treatment from my Boy. Today was an exception, it was
worse. He wouldn’t even take the pseudo bacon treat I offered. Hey buddy; if you could ride I swear I would
take you. Honest!
Leaving a sad puppy behind I departed the RV Park at 8:00 to
meet up with my friends. The sky still looked gloomy, but after a few miles the
cloud cover thinned, and after about 20 miles it was clear. Yes!
My good friends, Claudia and Clay, were ready to go when I
arrived at their house. So were their pups, Cheba and Chico. They ride in special
carriers made by Claudia. You can bet these little canines got lots of
attention at each of our five stops.
![]() |
| Claudia and Chico. |
![]() |
| Clay and Cheba. Is she a ham or what? |
The scenery today was mostly high undulating prairie with
intermingled dips into deep valleys and cresting the occasional hill. The hills
and valleys were the fun part. A few tight turns and many sweeping ‘S’
curves. A drive by Devil’s tower was a
highlight. The planners laid out a good run.
![]() |
| Scene at one of the Run Stops. Is that car Orange enough?!? |
![]() |
| Remembering ABATE members that are gone. |
We planned to end the day with a ride through Spearfish
Canyon. On the way to the canyon we rode past the Spearfish Hospital. As my
thoughts returned to memories of Sweet Sophie I choked a bit and my vision
blurred from too much water.
Spearfish Canyon is a beautiful canyon ride of about 25
miles. Beautiful views peppered with some tight turns. Too bad the speed limit
is 35mph for I wanted to hit a couple of those turns hard. Now you know I would
NEVER
speed. Wink Wink, nudge, nudge…
At the southern end of the canyon is a restaurant called
Cheyenne Crossing. A few days ago when Claudia mentioned that they serve great
Indian Tacos (sometimes called Navajo Tacos) I immediately said, that’s where
we have to go for dinner.
Mine was fantastic! I haven’t had one for a couple of years
and it was every bit as delicious as I remembered.
![]() |
| Internet photo of an Indian Taco. |
MMmmm, soon going back I am to have another, thank you very
much, I will.
Riley I am sorry. When I got home you were - as always glad
to see me. Even though I was a bad
parent and left you alone for 12 plus hours while I played (I didn’t plan this
and it weighed heavily on my mind). I promise not to be gone that long again.
And I thank you for not leaving any thing for me to clean up. You are the BEST!







Just wanted to say hi. I met you the day of the ABATE run.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are great and I will be back to check more often.
Thanks,
Dottie Rankin
Thanks Dottie.
Delete