Friday, August 3, 2012


The End of the Beginning
Twenty-one months and some days – wow, it feels as if we just started.  I might get a bit introspective here so I am giving you a fair warning.

It doesn’t feel like we have been on the road for 21 months and some number of days.  From this man’s perspective, we just started. You can believe that I have thoroughly scratched the itch. But, there will always be a bit of wanderlust in my soul.

The Special Days
On a trip far from one’s home you would expect the most memorable days to be at some exotic location along the chosen path. There were many special days on the road but it turns out that the most memorable were all close to home.

Beginning with the pre-sendoff party with all my friends and family at the house I was vacating. That was a great night.

The small dinner party at Craig and Jonnie's place, with Bob, Arlene and Jacky all singing “Happy Trails” is another of the great nights.

The birth of granddaughters Orlagh Sweeney and Greta Craney are absolutely high on the Special Days List.

The shared birthday party for daughter Jenn Fritz and I, which she hosted, with all of my children and grandchildren in attendance. Yes, it too was a very special day.

Going to the prestigious Pennsylvania Ballet’s performance of “The Nutcracker” with Granddaughter ‘Sula performing professionally – WOW, I still get choked up thinking about it.

The Special Places
Every place we spent more than one night at was special. Since I am a desert lover I would put West Texas, Arizona and Utah at the top. Followed very closely by the Black Hills of South Dakota. Not slighting Eastern North Carolina and South Central Mississippi either, we really enjoyed our time there.

The Special Photos
A modest coffee table book is in the planning phase. Of the thousands of photographs taken I hope to cull them to about 50. This will not be an easy task. For this edition of the blog I will post a few of my favorites if I can decide which ones.

Cover photograph for 'da Book.'

My favorite photograph of Rex.

Simply Amazing.

Back cover photograph of 'da Book.'

Riley, the best dog, and companion I could ever have.


Photos and Peaches
It took this old dog a long time to become comfortable with his photography. For many years I was more concerned with what others would think of my creations. Finally I know that the real goal is to please my eye, and if it happens to please others that is a bonus.

Let me explain this with a metaphor but first a bit of background. Many of you know I am partial to peaches; anything peach-flavored is great with me. Harriette Alexander, mother of my good friend Craig, has the ALL TIME best peach cobbler recipe; in fact, it is a near orgasmic experience when eaten.

When I create a good photo, it is like regular peach cobbler. But when I create a great photograph, especially if I planned it from the beginning, it is like Harriette’s cobbler, just fantastic. And when my valued friends approve, that just puts creamy vanilla ice cream on top of the cobbler. Hungry now? I am!

Many photographs posted here and on Facebook are my B-list, regular peach cobbler, and a few are my A-list, Harriette’s peach cobbler. The compliments I have received from many of you are the toppings. I really appreciate ALL of the kind words. THANKS!


The Special People
So where do I start? I am scared as hell about making a list for fear I miss someone. So I will not try to list everyone. To everyone I have met, shared a moment with, or maybe just said hello, Riley and I say thanks for the good times and great memories. And to ALL of the readers of this blog that I could not meet up with:  I value your friendship and have high hopes we can meet in person some day.


What’s Next?
As I mentioned there is still a lingering wanderlust. Riley and I will take up some sort of semi-permanent residence in PA. Then travel as the whim and need arises. The next destination is to winter over in Terlingua, TX. Good winter weather, great friendly people, and hundreds of landscape photographic opportunities to explore.
Scratchin-the-itch is not closing, merely evolving. Riley and I will still post from time to time.



No comments:

Post a Comment