Thursday, June 28, 2012

A casuality of the Interstate Highway System

Upton, WY is a sleepy little town on US route 16 between Newcastle and Moorcroft. A nice little town but it would be easy to pass by without noticing the hidden beauty within. A few days earlier I rode through and saw the fifties era truck stop. Right then I decided to return with serious photography on the agenda. Here are the results of two separate forays.

Upton is another in the long list of towns seriously injured by the Interstate Highway System. When I-90 opened the "D and R" truck stop / cafe closed as a result of the traffic rerouting. Sadly Route 16 is now a small line on the map, but I certainly enjoyed my time on it and in Upton.

Add caption

From an original photo I saw these doors were the room entrances for the motel.





Junior, my guide and local historian, and yours truly.
On the second visit I met with Junior, who graciously unlocked the buildings and tolerated my meandering. And I must also thank Jeanette and Jerri who manage the 'Red Onion Museum' in Upton. Without their help I would not have met Junior, and would not have learned that the truck stop / cafe was originally a small motel and Skelly gas station. I bet they even checked your oil and cleaned your windshield.

Thanks Jeanette, Jerri, and Junior! You are the kind of people that have made my journey through this great country a true pleasure.


This piano is inside what is a school house. I wonder how many happy hours were spent around it.

The remains of an old stove.

An Aermotor Windmill, I understand this company is still around.

This water tank needs repair, Junior is looking for help. Any Volunteers?

One of the original RVs. A sheepherders wagon.

One more for my Doors and Windows.

And another.

Interior door of the Soddy, notice the dirt floor. No need for vacuums here.

Entrance to the Soddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment