After a great month in Utah, Riley and I decided to move a bit
north to cooler nights and days. The Black Hills area of South Dakota is
pleasant in June, with temps from the mid 40s-50s at night and 70s-80s in the
sun. Great riding weather for certain. Caveat is there always seems to be the
threat of afternoon and evening thunderstorms. I just plan the day so I will be
back home by 3 p.m.
![]() |
| Tenacious Pine While eating dinner outside our first night here this was the view. A mere 40 yards away. |
![]() |
| Our first campsite in the 'Hills.' |
But great weather alone doesn't make for perfect riding. The
roads complete the package, and the
Black Hills has some of the absolute best motorcycle roads this old dog has
ridden. That's the main reason I visit this area so often – six times since
1998, including every year since 2009. Perhaps that's why Sturgis has become
the most popular biker event in world. Ya think?
![]() |
| The Sun about to be covered by a storm. This one brought lots of pea and marble sized hail. It is good that Rex has a portable garage. |
Iron Mountain Road has become my favorite road here. It has
everything for a mildly aggressive motorcycle rider like me. Ample sweeping
turns, lots of switchbacks, and three corkscrew bridges, all correctly banked.
The bridges are actually turns greater than 360 degrees. Riding this road (when
not following a timid cage driver) is the closest thing man can experience to
flying and not leave the ground.I will try to get some still images of the bridges but it is difficult.
I wish I had my old ’73 Triumph Bonneville here now. Compare
Rex to a slightly overweight thoroughbred while Bonnie is a seasoned and trim
cutting horse. Rex is fun but Bonnie was seriously exciting.
I have a new gadget toy, a small HD video camera that I can
mount on Rex’s handlebars. So far I have recorded two roads: Iron Mountain Road
and the Needles Highway. I plan on capturing more. All I need now is some more
experience in creating videos that work well with the internet. They have to be
modestly small in size but retain the quality I demand. That is a skill I have
yet to master.
![]() |
| My Security Service on Duty. |
Riley is happy to be here, too. He is full of energy on the
cool morning walks we take. And he now gets to hunt squirrels and marmots (a
kind of groundhog) instead of the lizards in Utah. Hey, it saves on the food
bill. HA. Do not worry; I really don’t let him get to them but he enjoys the
hunt.
![]() |
| Now THAT's a Fence! |





You have GOT to post those videos somewhere ... those roads sound awesome!
ReplyDeleteYet another place I need to take my bike to! I can see I'm going to need to sell my house and buy an RV before too much time goes by :)
I just started playing around with a GOPRO digital camera that mounts pretty much anywhere. The trick is to shoot in the highest quality possible, and then upload directly to youtube. It may take a long time to upload and process, but the quality will be there.
ReplyDeleteDoes Riley have a rig on the bike?
Chris Miller
Our180.com - One Family's Journey To Finding True Happiness
Kranky Old Man, who are you? And I posted a teaser at my other blog, Rex's Rode Roads. There is a link on FB.
ReplyDeleteChris, I am using a Tachyon HD video camera and a Canon HD camera, The Canon is better equipment but the Tachyon is super small and mounts anywhere. I edit with Adobe Premier Pro. Right now I am avoiding you-tube for several reasons but I will rethink that. The video quality is outstanding on my imac, I just have to figure out the best conversion techniques.
You might know me as PCDoc54 on Cyclefish ... although I don't post much. I'll check out your other blog, thanks.
DeleteWe run on macs here too. I think iMovie is great for editing but I don't really get into the fancy stuff. I have a buddy who runs a gun blog (hausofguns.com) and all of his video is shot on smaller digital cameras and edited in iMovie and i think it's quality stuff. I don't get much into it because editing video drives me nuts.
ReplyDeleteChris Miller
Our180.com - One Family's Journey To Finding True Happiness