I have been very lazy regarding the blog. We have spent
a month in Moab, UT, and now almost two weeks in Custer, SD, without an entry.
Apologies are offered and I will catch you all up on our doings.
Moab, UT. One of the most beautiful scenic locations I have
ever seen. This area is a landscape photographer's nirvana. The Moab Photography
Symposium was scheduled to begin on May 3 and we arrived a couple
days early. We stayed at Archview RV
Resort -- a nice place with great staff. Only nine miles (a very quick trip)
from town, it is away from the light pollution and noise.
The symposium (produced by Bruce Hecko) was fantastic. I
met a lot of like-minded photographers and learned quite a bit. Now if I could
only just apply some of that knowledge -- HA. Some of the photographs I was
inspired to create are below. You can bet I have already marked my calendar for
next year's event.
![]() |
| I happened upon one of the symposium's groups while they were on a field trip to Arches. Photo by Daniel Dunn, Thanks Dan. See you next year. |
![]() |
| One of the fantastic scenic vistas presented while riding along Utah route 128. It follows the Colorado River. |
![]() |
| The LaSal Mountains moon rise at Sunset. |
![]() |
| Balanced Roch time exposure by moon and starlight. |
![]() |
| Balanced Rock at moonrise. This was the 'super moon' largest we will see this year. |
![]() |
| I don't usually like these cliche photos but this one works for me. Cisco, UT, Pop 2. |
![]() |
| LaSal Mountains reflection. |
After the symposium we just took it easy, walked every
day (almost), rode a couple of good highways, and explored the area for
photographic opportunities. We caught the Art in the Park festival one weekend
and a local thrift store (Wabi Sabi Thriftique) was
sponsoring an Art Car creation for the parade leading up to this event.
Every day for a week I hung
out with Laurie and Amanda (ladies running the Art Car event) taking
photographs while people were preparing their creations. I was especially
fascinated by the interest of the children. You can see all the photos from
this event here.
Hey North Penn Art Alliance people, this would be a GREAT thing for our kids
classes!
We weathered one very severe
windstorm too. It was the worst wind/dust storm I have ever experienced, and
that opinion was echoed by the staff at Archview. Steady winds at 35 MPH with
gusts to 65MPH. Brutal, and even today I am still finding dust in the RV from
that storm. The dust was finer than the screens so doors and windows had to be
kept closed.
My recent purchase of a small
video camera that mounts on Rex’s handlebars has been taking up a lot of my
time. We will be making some ride videos so you can see what fuels this madness
I have. More on that as I figure out the video editing software and can make a
decent presentation. The Black Hills of South Dakota will be my prime video
practice area.







No comments:
Post a Comment