We are in serious weather shock. All last week the
AC had to be turned on by 9:00 AM and was kept on until at least an hour after
sunset. Today as we climbed the mountains around Flagstaff (now we are at 7000
feet) it got chilly. So much so I turned on the heater. When we left I was
wearing cutoff jeans and a t-shirt. You can bet I am wearing a lot more now.
And a jacket when Riley takes me for a walk. It was 38 degrees at noon, with a
predicted low of 33 tonight.
![]() |
| Snow on the tops, cold rain on us. (cell photo) |
The ride north from Phoenix was
stormy. Most of the wind was blowing up the tailpipe until we reached the
mountains. Then it started coming from all directions. It is a bit breathtaking
when you are pushed half a lane one way then another half lane back, all in 2
seconds. It is raining now and snowing just a few hundred feet above us (see
photo).
The old mare Roz did well, chugging
along interstate 17. She pulled the mountains very well considering all. There
were several info signs along the road that said ‘Caution, slow moving vehicles
next five miles.’ We played the old
trucker’s game of Dragonfly, drag up one side of the mountain and fly down the
other. At one point we followed a ‘Pumpkin’ (truckers know what that is) up one
long extreme hill and were down as low as 25 MPH.
During a fortuitous refueling stop I
checked the weather at Gallup, NM, which was to be our destination for today. Dust
storms, and winds gusting to 50 mph. Certainly not good RV driving weather. I
spied a nice RV park next to the gas station. We parked for the night after
only 150 miles. Tomorrow should be much better.

No comments:
Post a Comment