My friend Donna (Shyone on Cyclefish) from Newark, Ohio was in Salt Lake City for business and contacted me. Wanna go for a ride? I asked. So we went to
Antelope Island , which is the largest island in the Great Salt Lake. It is part of the Utah State Park System and can be entered via a 7-mile causeway. No boat needed. There is a remnant of an old buffalo ranch there with lots of photo ops. Too bad the time of day was wrong for artsy photos. I did get some touristy stuff though.
Since this island is on the eastern side of the lake with unobstructed views to the west I bet there are some great sunsets seen there. I might try to get there for one. When you first enter the island there is a memorial to the Army Rangers and Air Force crewmembers tragically killed in a training exercise in 1992. RIP brothers.
A bit disappointing to us was that the hundreds of buffalo and antelope residents were on the other side of the island when we visited and that side has no road. We only saw one of each along the 15 or so miles we rode. The visitors’ center is nice and explains a lot of geology facts about the island. I had a great buffalo burger for lunch, MMmmm.
 |
| Just entering the Island. |
 |
| A Lagoon near the entrance. |
 |
| A somewhat distressed wild sunflower. |
 |
| A Gneiss rock. |
 |
| Local residents at the visitors' center. (on the outside) |
 |
| Artist creation. |
 |
| View of the causeway |
 |
| View of the road on the eastern side. |
 |
| Steel wheels and fence. |
 |
| Sixties International and fence |
|
 |
| Did I mention I like fences? |
No comments:
Post a Comment