In the previous entry I mentioned Antelope Island being good for sunset viewing and photographs. I decided to try it tonight. I arrived about 90 minutes before sunset to allow me to find a good vantage point. As I rode west out on the causeway I could see one very large storm to the west of the island and a smaller one to the southeast. I felt a little disappointment thinking it wouldn’t be a good sunset photo op, but I pressed on.
Checking out all the pullout spots on the western side of the island, I chose what I thought would be a good location. The one I chose had a concrete outhouse nearby that might be handy if either storm were to hit me. Remember, I was on Rex and as you can see from the photos, I was very exposed. Happily I can report it was not needed.
That big storm I mentioned was slowly moving away but there was another smaller one behind me. As it turned out they both missed the island. One missed me to the west and the other to the southeast.
As the sun settled lower I could see that a sunset photo would be a bust today. That storm was just too large. I did get one pre-sunset photo though, and some low-angle mountain photos. BUT (there is always a big but), the smaller storm was backlit by the sun and presented me with a great opportunity for some awesome storm cloud photos. I hope you like them.
![]() |
| The BIG storm. The Sun was behind it. Oh and the outhouse is just to the right. I cropped it out because I don't take crappy pictures. HA |
![]() |
| There was a short time when the sun popped through a small opening in the clouds. |
![]() |
| Looking South towards Stringham Peak (6473 feet) from my sunset vantage point. |
![]() |
| Same as above but with a different interpretation. |
![]() |
| The smaller storm, as seen from the good side. |
The sun set; light turned to dark and it was time to go. The gate closed at 9:30 and I did not want to sleep on Rex. On the return trip along the seven-mile-long causeway Mother Nature showed me just how great an artist she is.
That storm I photographed in backlight moved into the mountains just to the east. WOW, a flash here, a flash there. Most were very typical but occasionally a lightning flash would silhouette the mountain and simultaneously light the cloud with a soft glow. Now if I could have captured that…
There are two more things I must mention. On the first night in Ogden at the Century RV Park my campsite neighbor, John, came over and introduced himself and his wife Michelle, and their son Austin. He gave me a patriotic T-shirt from a group he is starting. They were heading to Idaho for an Elk Hunt. Good luck and save me some steaks.
![]() |
| Austin, Michelle, and John |
Second and certainly not the least is the Century RV Park was excellent. The sites were large, level and the grounds impeccably maintained. They did everything first class from watering the grass areas, cleaning the roads and mowing the grass. The showers were large and clean; the laundry had plenty of good machines and room to fold (if you fold that is) clothes. I could find no ‘it’s good enough’ items there. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Whenever I return to Ogden I will stay there. Overall on the STI rating I will give them a five out of five.






No comments:
Post a Comment