Up and on the road early, we headed southeast towards Moab, Utah. Moab boasts two major national parks within 15 miles, Arches and Canyonlands. I plan to explore them both quite a bit. But that is not why I am posting; the reason is the drive to here from Salt Lake City.
Once the first 90 or so miles of busy interstate were complete we turned southeast on US Route 6. If I say the Route 6 part of the ride was beautiful it would be an understatement. I really was wishing I was on Rex instead of him napping all the way in his portable garage.
Utah has the most interesting rest areas. The one we stopped at a few miles west of Soldier Summit was themed like a railroad station, complete with turntable and roundhouse.The picnic benches are in the roundhouse.
![]() |
| Utah State rest stop on US 6 a little west of Soldier Summit. |
Speaking of Soldier Summit, while passing through the town we happened upon a gas station with an unusual building in the back. No, not one with a crescent moon cutout. It is a concrete structure that was once a two-cell jail in the early 1900s. Also the name of the store is Summit Station, and many of my friends back home know another Summit Station in PA. This summit is much higher.
![]() |
| Old Jailhouse on the hill at Soldier Summit, UT. |
Route 6 was all downhill from Soldier Summit and what a breathtaking scenic ride it was for 30 miles or so. About eight of those miles in the Price Canyon Recreational Area, were absolutely astounding views. I really was wishing I were on Rex, except that a storm caught me right then. Gee, did it pour.
I felt relieved after getting through that storm, but I knew there was one more behind it aiming for me. We made it to I-70 and headed east for about five miles. I refueled Roz, and Riley needed a pee break so we stepped out to the dog walk area of the truck stop. Looking west I could see nothing but very dark, almost black, for the entire 180-degree view. OK Riley, gotta be quick on this one.
![]() |
| Look out it is coming for you. |
I put Riley back in Roz, and got my camera out to record that ominous sky. It was no longer black; all I could see was light tan. Rut Roh! That meant the storm was close and it was pushing a lot of dust in front of it. Time to move! I got two quick pics and boogied east but the leading edge had already caught us. Pushing Roz’s pedal to the metal, we were able to outrun it, for now. In the sideview mirror I saw that the dust had completely engulfed the town of Green River. WOW.
Our destination near Moab was 20 miles east and 20 miles south. Feeling we beat the storm, I relaxed a bit and drove the speed limit. I felt sorry for those heading west, directly into it, especially the small biker group. We were almost to the RV park when guess what caught up with us. I was setting up camp in the dust storm. My smart phone weather app said sustained winds of 48 mph with gusts to 60 mph. I have not felt winds like that ever without being on two wheels.
As quickly as it arrived the storm moved on towards other unsuspecting victims. Within an hour all was calm. Now I can appreciate the view I have in this park. I set the alarm for 20 minutes before sunrise, enough time for a cup and setup of the camera. Below is my front yard view. This spot costs $5 extra per day but the view is worth it. For tomorrow the plan is a quick (couple hours each) recon of Canyonlands and Arches to plan some serious photographic excursions. Once again, it is good to be me today.
![]() |
| Another beautiful night Sky. My first attempt at photographing the Milky Way. sorry for the blur, it is a 90 second exposure and I have no tracking device. |
![]() |
| Our new front yard. |
![]() |
| Looking West of our site. |
![]() |
| Looking south of out site. There will be more of this view. |
![]() |
| A late afternoon storm passes overhead. |













No comments:
Post a Comment