Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Something (Very) Old & Something New (To Me)

Friday, July 15
With the feeling similar to that when leaving a new but dear friend, we left the Pinedale, Wyoming, area this morning. I will be back.

An intermediate tourist stop was on the route today — Fossil Butte National Monument near Kemmerer, Wyoming. Apparently, the area was covered by three great lakes 50 million years ago and many of the creatures left stories for us humans to read. It was fascinating.

Of particular note was one seemingly mundane outdoor display that, on further examination, highlighted a very interesting fact. The display is a timeline along the railing of the visitor center entrance walkway. Every 9 inches equals 1 million years and it begins at 570 million years ago. As I walked alongside this tick-marked railing, which indicates major events with special markers, I became more engrossed.

It’s a long timeline, winding around the building and past the entrance. More than halfway around the building I saw the end of the display, which has two markers —one for the beginning of recorded history and one for today. These two points were just one and a half inches apart. Wow. I did the math and was amazed. Just one and a half inches of recorded human history out of 427.5 feet of life on this earth. I was somewhat aware of these numbers but this display put it in a perspective I could understand.

After spending a chunk of time at Fossil Butte I decided to cut short today’s travel and found a spot in Evanston, Wyoming. We’re only 6 miles from the Utah border and 90 miles from Salt Lake City. That is for tomorrow.

My photographer friends might be interested to hear about the latest addition to my photography toolkit, which is waiting for me in Salt Lake City. I found the seller on eBay and made arrangements to pick it up. Hopefully this will enable me to better reproduce on paper what I visualize when I study a scene. Saint Ansel, please hear my prayers. Details when it is in the toolbox.

Saturday, July 16
I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Interstate 80 from Evanston to Ogden, Utah, is one of the most scenic interstate highways I have driven. It was downhill all the way, too. I bet Roz got 9 miles per gallon! The photos below were taken at a rest stop on the way.

I hiked up a small hill to get this vantage point
at the rest stop. Looking east w/ 200mm lens.

Looking East with 28mm lens.
A pleasant surprise was a field of thistles at the top of the hill.
Looking West.

I will repeat here what I have often stated: Utah is the most beautiful state for scenery in the Lower 48, period. This is going to be a good 40 days or so of photography for me, the highlight of the highlights of our journey.

Speaking of photography, my new (used) tool is now in my toolbox. It is not ready to use just yet but I expect it will be shortly. This camera (geek speak = Toyo 45AII) uses 4x 5 inch sheet film. I have to either find a local film lab or get my own processing equipment. Long-term solution will be my own equipment. (Watching eBay for jobo). Did I mention it is getting crowded inside Roz?
The latest addition to my photo tool-kit.
Fuji 45AII w/ 180mm and 90mm lenses.

We are in Ogden, which is about 30 miles north of Salt Lake City. I probably won’t spend much time in the city; I generally avoid cities. Yesterday at Fossil Butte I purchased a book, “Roadside Geology of Utah.” Hopefully now when I look at these many fantastic formations I will have a little more understanding of what they are and what caused them. But I will still remark, “Isn’t that beautiful.” Utah is very unique in the Lower 48. A lot of different geological events have combined here to give us the unequalled excess of visual delights.

Oh, and it is summer here. Hot and dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment