Friday, July 1, 2011

Seems Like I Just Got Here


We spent almost three weeks in the Black Hills and it went by in a New York minute. I cannot say enough about the Black Hills and Custer, South Dakota. There are so many things to do and see, and so many beautiful roads to ride — in particular, Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road. Let me unequivocally state that these roads are best traveled without a roof over your head. As I coursed these two scenic byways I could not help but feel sorry for those tourists I passed in minivans with windows rolled up. They were missing the real experience.

I had a treat from back East, too. Lauren and my grandson Henry were in South Dakota visiting her father and stepmother, Dan and Colleen. It was nice to visit Dan, Colleen, Lauren and the swashbuckling pirate Henry. (He just went to Pirates Cove miniature golf and had all the paraphernalia.) I would have photos to show, but the retired pro that I am did a no-no to my memory card and they are lost. Sorry Lauren. I also had a marvelous meal of linguini with clam sauce. MMmmm. Thanks Colleen.

Yep! This is going to be my early summer home from now on. I proudly present here my favorite artsy type photo from the past three weeks.
Another scene near our campsite interpreted by me.


To my Art Alliance friends: You would like the Custer Stampede Art Project (painted bison statues) that dot the area. There are many and each is a unique creation by local artists. I have included photos of just a few. All images are copyright the individual artists and Custer Stampede.




On the last day in the Hills my friends Claudia and Clay called and said they and a few friends from Florida were going for a ride. Would I like to go along? Didn’t take me long to say yes.
As it turned out there were 18 friends on 12 bikes. With Claudia, Clay and me it was 14 bikes. A modest parade we had for sure. I guarantee 18 more people have now joined the ranks of South Dakota lovers.
The group from FL on Iron Mountain Road. Look close and see Mt. Rushmore in the tunnel.

The group from Florida at the Needle's Eye.


Over the last two months I have gathered many photos to share. Some are scenic tourist vistas, some are funny, and others are group photos of the people I rode with. Enjoy. Captions will explain. 

A good place to buy fine cigars, and Vinyl flooring too.

Telephoto view of Crazy Horse Memorial.

It took some engineering but my new printer is functional. YES!

Mine building in Lead, SD. Viewed from US 385.

I waited for at least an hour and didn't see any dancing girls going in to buy any.

Dual function antenna. (Newark, OH)

Rex sportin' some new Kool running lights. Can you find the bee.

For all my PA friends, Yeah in SD.


As I write this Riley and I are now back in Rawlins, Wyoming. In two days we will be in Pinedale, Wyoming, in anticipation of attending the Green River Rendezvous. It’s something I have had on my list for about 20 years, and soon to be experienced. While I am there I will also get to ride through the Grand Tetons. What man can resist that name?


2 comments: