Monday, June 20, 2011

My Favorite Riding Road, and Bambi Encounters


Wednesday, June 15, 2011
The weather forecast for today was exactly correct. Highs in the mid 60s to low 70s, blue skies and little wind. Wow, what a great day for a ride. My all-time favorite road to ride was not more than 40 miles of nice riding away so I pointed Rex that direction. We stopped for lunch, and at a few scenic vistas along the way.

The vistas were beautiful, sure, but there was one stop I had to make — at the eastern end of my favorite road, in Lead, SD — because of tradition.

This started back in ’98 when the Moosechoppers (the story behind that name is fuel for another blog), Alien, Stump and I went to Sturgis for bike week. We found a little roadside bar called Lewie’s. It is a typical bar — good bar food, and good drinks at fair prices. It is decorated, as many places out west are, with all sorts of mining and logging tools, plus a forest’s worth of mounted deer and elk heads. Over the years, many a customer has placed various items on the animals. Alien was one of these people.




At one time Alien could not pass up buying cheap sunglasses. I think he had about 70 pairs at the peak of his collection. One of those ended up on a deer in Lewie’s. Since then, every time I come here I stop in, have a beer, and search out the stylin’ deer. It is still here, although in a different location within the premises, looking as cool as ever thanks to my friend Alien.

One Cool Looking Deer.

Lewie’s was fast disappearing in my mirrors and I was filled with anticipation of the expected great sweeping turns and hills that lay before me. The MP3 player was set to run “Green Grass and High Tides” and I was ready for 17 miles of bike riding ecstasy now just two minutes away. Then the ominous sign appeared, “Flagman ahead – be prepared to stop.” OK, maybe it is just a small portion of the road they are working on, I thought. Nope. The next sign said “CAUTION milled road next seventeen miles.” DAMN! Rex and I had to ride it at the speed of my former riding partner, slow in the turns. There was to be no joy in Muddville (at least for the riding part) today. But I will be back.

After the slow ride portion I headed toward Newcastle, WY, to have dinner with two CycleFish friends, Claudia and Clay. We have been internet friends for some time and were actually going to meet today. So cool. And what a meal. All you vegetable-tarians look away for the next few sentences. MMmmm, Chicken Fried Elk Steak. MMmmm! Clay shot it and Claudia prepared it. Just like heaven. MmMMM!
Thanks Claudia and Clay!

When was the last time you used a pump like this? In Newcastle, WY.

After that fine meal we relaxed a bit and solved the entire biker world’s problems via fascinating conversation. But then the sun was getting low and I had 40 miles of unfamiliar roads to travel, so sadly I headed back, but not without the warning to watch for critters on a certain stretch of the mountain pass.

’Twas a good warning for as I entered that area I became even more vigilant. On one particularly sharp turn, there standing on the side of the road’s white line marker were five mule deer. Brazen buggers too. I could have reached out and touched them if I wanted. They just looked at me as I (SLOWLY) went by. A couple of turns later and there were several more, although at least that group wasn’t on the road and moved away as I approached. All ended well with no further encounters of the Bambi kind. Once again, it was a good day to be me.

Friday, June 17, 2011
The long-anticipated arrival of my new printer has happened. Thanks to Dan and Colleen Clapper (Sophie’s grandparents) who graciously let me have it shipped to their house. Riley and I drove over to Rapid City and got it from them. I am psyched. I can’t wait to see some of my new art on paper. YES! The first print exceeded my expectations. WOW! The printer is a bit larger than I expected so some redesign of the office is in order. It will be worth it.

Saturday, June 18, 2011
WOW oh WOW! If the Creator is a biker, this is her summer home for there is nowhere more beautiful. Claudia, Clay, and their two friends Donnie and Jen arrived around 9 am for our planned daylong ride through this beautiful country. After a good breakfast we headed for Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road. I cannot say enough to praise the riding out here. The roads are naturally scenic, well maintained and clean, and properly banked for sweeping turns. 

Donnie - Jenn - Clay - Claudia - Me

Eye of the Needle.

Tourist Info.

It can get crowded at the top.

I really loved the corkscrew turns on Iron Mountain Road. The road engineers solved the steep ascent/descent problem by building full circle bridges. AWESOME! To my children I must warn you, this will probably become my new summer home. I REALLY love it here.

A little more about Donnie, who is a volunteer fireman. I have the utmost respect for those who risk life and limb for us. This world truly would be a lesser place without these first responders. Here are some detail photos of his Fireman Special Road King. A super nice ride you have, Don.

Airbrush art on fender.

Remembering a friend.

Nozzle Highway Pegs.

One of a kind Fire Plug Ornament.


Custom flames and lightening on FF edition tank.



Sunday, June 19, 2011
Happy Father’s Day to the fathers of my beautiful grandchildren: Jeff, Frank, Joe and Austin. May you find the joy I have experienced. There is no more difficult a thing you can do, but the rewards are well beyond the labors. And thank you to my children who gave me well wishes today. Especially the Skype call from ‘Sula and Wade.



No comments:

Post a Comment