Our escape to the Redwood Run sadly had to be cancelled. There were just too many delays and the “prime directive” (sorry Gene Roddenberry) of this journey is “There will be no rushing to get anywhere.” You may remember that Roz was having tire difficulties. It turned out that both front tires had developed serious flat spots.
This was probably caused by two bad shocks and both tires not correctly balanced. At least I hope that is all because that is what we replaced. The first test drive after replacing these proved that at least the symptoms are now gone. As for the cause, that will be discovered over time and miles.
Two more photos from Rawlins...
![]() |
| Push Me Pull Me Caddy. |
![]() |
| Morning Greeting in Rawlins. |
Thursday, June 9, 2011
This morning we headed out bright, early and chilly (38 degrees) toward Custer, SD. What an enjoyable ride we had. Taking state and US highways through some of Wyoming’s beautiful High Plains was the right choice. This is Big Sky country to be sure. We stopped at an historical Oregon Trail spot called Independence Rock. Reading the history plaques I found myself daydreaming of how it must have been way back then traveling this country. Those pioneers deserve much credit and admiration. That was a (non) road trip.
![]() |
| Independence Rock. |
![]() | |
| I believe this is a surveyor's mark. In Pathfinder WY Wildlife Refuge. |
We were traveling roads I have been on before, but then I was on two wheels. The hills seem so much larger now. Strange. Wanting to make it an easy day, we stopped after only 220 miles in the town of Lusk, WY. It’s a sleepy little town but full of life too. The RV park we found was nice and a bit different. It is right inside the town, taking up what would be called a city block, and very clean and quiet. Quiet, that is, except for the T-storm that developed just as we were hooking up water and electric. The photo shows some of it.
Friday, June 10, 2011
With another somewhat chilly, equally bright, but definitely not as early a start, we commenced to navigate the remaining 125 miles to Custer, SD. The roads were the same as yesterday — thoroughly enjoyable. We took the west road into Custer, which I traveled before and forgot about the five to ten miles of switchbacks and steep hills. Roz, being the old draft mare that she is, took it easy and stayed below the safe speed limits. I promised myself to come back to this portion of the road on Rex and do some justice to them.
We found our destination RV park and hooked up quickly. I needed some groceries so I backed Rex out of his garage and set out on a foodstuffs recon mission. As waited at the red light in town I remembered the switchbacks. Right turn Clyde, err Rex, and off we went to assault the twisties of SD Route 16. To say I enjoyed it would be a serious understatement. For me at least, flattening those hills and straightening those turns is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Coincidently, my favorite go-fast-through-the-turns song came on my MP3 player just as we entered the 10-mile stretch. Jeez, what a rush! Oh, the song is “Green Grass and High Tides” done by the Outlaws. Today was a great day to be ME!
Now that we are in my favorite riding area there will be frequent road day trips with photos to share. I am excited!
PS. Every time we stop for gas or photo ops Riley tries to give me a hint...
![]() |
| My Turn to Drive yet? I love my boy's bent ear. |







No comments:
Post a Comment