Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Flat Tires and Finding Happiness


Since we last talked a lot has happened — mostly good, but some not so much. Due to an uncontrollable problem brewing back in PA we couldn’t leave Ohio for fear of having to return to PA. No worries friends; my family and friends are all fine. It was of a financial nature. When that was settled to my satisfaction we headed west. 

Some photos from Newark and Findlay...
Rural Ohio farm scene near our campground by request of friend Donna.



James, me, and Anastasia. Hard to see here but if that river gets any higher the bridge will become a houseboat.

The CycleFish crew from Findlay (and Mt. Vernon).
James doing his thing to Anastasia's bike and her doing what she does best.

It was with great sadness I left Newark and Findlay, Ohio. I had a great time with my friends. The eventual goal was the Redwood, California, area for a cycle rally. The first fun destination was Council Bluffs, Iowa, and a visit with my friend Dana, whom I met back in ’09 on the “Ride for Sophie.” She was a great help with that charity. A more giving lady you will not find.

Dana is the founder of a great charity organization, MC Magsfor Military. (Please look her up on Facebook.) She started MC Mags as a way to donate old biker magazines to military members serving in harm’s way, and it has grown. Again, I ask you to search her out on Facebook.

Having a cranky computer repaired delayed our departure from Council Bluffs by a day. I won’t bore you all with the geek speak but now it is all better. Sunday morning we got an early start with great expectations of putting about 500 miles on Roz. She was having none of that — at about 250 miles, near North Platte, Nebraska, this is what happened:

Back Tire Flat Tire Blues

Rolling down the highway
Headin out that a way
Came a semi air horn a-blowin
Made me jump outta my skin
Went on by then he blew it again 
His left turn flashin all the way
Made me think what he say
Ah Ha I think I get the drift
Something wrong on the left
Rest stop rest stop just ahead
Pull on in to see the matter
Left inside tire couldn’t be flatter

We limped down the road about 10 miles to a truck repair shop. A hot and sunny Sunday and they were open — great I thought. Only one tech working and it seemed to be flat tire day with three trucks in front of me. So we waited, and waited, and waited. Used an eighth of a tank of gas keeping the air on for Riley. Did I mention it was hot?

I am not complaining, as they worked as hard as they could. The hole in the tire was too close to the sidewall thus not repairable and they did not carry my size. So they put the spare on and gave me the phone number of a place to call on Monday morning. Luckily for us there was a nice RV park only a mile from the truck shop. We got a spot and settled for the night. We were all fixed up with a new tire and on the road again Monday morning by 11. Now let’s see how far we get today.

What is it with Roz and tires? What had been a minor vibration has become a major annoyance. Probably one of the front tires is way out of balance, so much so that we cut short today’s run. I am not a fatalist, but something is trying to prevent me from getting to California. As we sit here in Rawlins, Wyoming, I am rethinking that. I will make a decision after I see what’s up with the tire vibration.

It may seem as if we are in distress, but believe me we are not. We will take each day as it happens and enjoy the good in it, for there is good in everything. You just have to look for it a little harder sometimes. Whatever happens, we are in God’s country and happy to be here.




No comments:

Post a Comment