Saturday, February 26, 2011

So Far it is Great

So far the calendar has ticked off four months on the road for us. It seems to have gone by in a flash. So we must be having fun. Yes we are! So far we have met some good friends, made some new friends and seen some beautiful places. And during all of this we missed most of the terrible winter the Northeast has been experiencing. We are chilling right now in warm south Texas while planning our visit back to PA.

So far most of my expectations have been met or exceeded. One expectation that was seriously underestimated is the separation from family and friends. The internet and phone help, but is not the same as being there. I really miss all of you, especially the ones under 8 years old.

So far I have tried to pretty much go wherever the whim takes me, but for the second half of the journey there are plans that have been made. They are, in no particular order:

Getting back to Kill Devil Hills, NC.
Going to the "Redwood Run" in California (a biker event in the Redwood forest).
Going to the "Green River Rendezvous" in Wyoming (a mountain man Indian tribe re-enactment).
Meeting and riding with many of my CycleFish friends.
Riding in God's country, aka all the western states.

So far I, and Riley sometimes, have tasted all the great local cuisine and thoroughly enjoyed most of it, but some tastes from home are missing. For instance, delis. I cannot find a good deli. Cheesesteaks, hoagies, mmm cheesesteaks, Yeungling Lager, homemade pasta salad (Amy), homemade tortellini salad (Jonnie), and others too numerous to mention. You can bet that I will over-indulge when I visit.

One final thing that I really miss (it is so good it deserves its own paragraph) is some of Alien's World Famous Jerky. There is NONE better, or even near as good. I was very fortunate to have a two-gallon zip bag given to me by the Alien before we left. I was able to make that last about two months, but the jonesin' began about a month after it ran out. HINT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment