Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Bonus for Riley

Arr-WOOF! (Dog speak, this time for WOW!) Riley here. I don't know what I did and I really wish I knew so I can do it again. Yesterday, just before dinner time, Mike opened the refrigerator and took out something that smelled real good. It smelled so good, I was doing that Pavlovian thing. And here is the best part: While he was making the dinner he threw a piece of that great-smelling stuff on the floor.

Now I am no slouch when it comes to grabbing uh-ohs and I surely didn't miss this chance. Boy, oh boy, was it ever great. Mike was yelling something but I was not gonna be deterred from this gift. Arrrrooowwwoo (thanks), Mike. Help me figure this out so I can get more of those things. They are much better than that dry crud he puts in my bowl.

Let me explain this to you. (Mike talking now.) When I was grocery shopping I bought myself a treat — a couple of nice sirloin steaks. It is often difficult to get portions small enough for our limited-size refrigerator. Two steaks will work because the second one can be tomorrow’s meal. Cook once, eat twice is what I say. I was opening the package and clumsily dropped one of those steaks right in front of Riley. When I am making dinner he is always close under foot and my boy didn't miss a beat. It was in his mouth and already partly consumed before I could yell, “Hey give that back.” He didn't. He just licked his chops and looked at me with his large brown eyes. He didn't get the other one, or even a piece of it.

While we are speaking of food, I want to mention another breakfast meal I often have — a thick layer of peanut butter and sliced bananas on hearty bread, all assembled into a pleasing sandwich. Wash it down with good, strong coffee. Mmmmmm. Sometimes for a treat add a little bit of honey. It’s a very simple meal with four flavors that go well together.




Many of you already know of the lost and then recovered Story Stick. In an effort to aid in the recovery if I ever do that again, I have attached a dog tag (with my phone number) to the stick. But, believe me, it will not happen again. I am good at closing the gate after the horse has gone. Here is a photo of the new accessory and one of the parks where we walk.

Story Stick sportin' a new Dog Tag.

A portion of our daily walk route.

No comments:

Post a Comment