Monday, November 8, 2010
The refrigerator and pantry in Roz were in need of restocking so I went on a recon to find a food store. My map software showed one about 16 miles away. I asked at the camp office and they confirmed it was the closest. Off I went, sans Riley, for I wouldn’t be but an hour, or so I thought.
Driving down the road looking for the store turned up nothing. I figured I missed it, but, heck, this is a resort area and there had to be another one soon, or (again) so I thought.
I found one eventually — but I had traveled 37 miles and was almost in Kitty Hawk, NC. Hey, I thought, I’m here and might as well go the additional 6 miles to Kill Devil Hills and scope out the Wright Brothers National Memorial.
The memorial was fascinating. I spent a large part of my adult life involved with aviation and this is where it all started. I will visit it again later this week with my equipment and take a lot of photos.
Back to my original purpose of this solo trip: buying groceries. I stopped on the way back and, I confess, I bought far too much junk (mmmm cookies). I need to remember to eat before gathering foodstuffs.
I returned to Roz, expecting to see Riley enthusiastically greeting me at the door. He wasn’t at the door; he was still on the bed. I wondered, “Is he ill?” He got up, but meandered towards me, and gave me a look as if to say “How come you left me all alone and took four hours to get some measly food?” I apologized, and he seemed better. Or perhaps it was the slice of ham that swayed him.
One note about the missing store: On the return trip, I spotted it right where I thought it should be.
It seems something else went missing yesterday. Last night, I opened a bottle of my Lynchburg Medicine with plans to use some to relieve my old man’s disease, arthritis. The medicine worked as always; within a few minutes the annoying aches were nonexistent. So I went about my photo editing duties and finally decided it was time for 40 winks. Now for the strange part, when I got up this morning most of the new bottle was gone. I mean all but two fingers were left in the bottle. My guess is that it either evaporated or Riley got up in the middle of the night and dumped it because he was still mad at me. It is the weirdest thing.
On our second walk of the day Riley met Fred’s brother, Jed. (Fred is red and Jed is green) Riley growls and barks at things he does not understand and his encounter with Jed was no different. So we didn’t attempt any tractor tipping. Ha! For those who don’t know about Fred see the great movie “Cars!”
More to come…

Hmm - reckon Jed might be a bit scary in the dark (o:
ReplyDeleteoops...
ReplyDeleteI need to correct something here. Dummy me kept thinking it was Fred, when it really is FRANK. So I guess Riley realy met Frank's brother Hank?