Sunday, November 7, 2010

Last day in Henderson, NC, heading to Kitty Hawk, NC


On Friday, Carrie took her day off to show me around the Henderson area. I hope she realizes how much I appreciate the “grand tour”! Thanks Carrie! There are many interesting places to see and photograph in her part of the country. Some I will show here. One of my favorite subjects is old gas pumps, of which there are plenty here, and the almost-falling-over Union 76 sign. I also loved the white sycamore tree she took me to see. Does anyone know why some are white? Is it a distinct species? 
















After our day trip I planned to cook my special chicken with potatoes, carrots and onions. Not being accustomed to my new (crappy, little) grill, the chicken didn’t turn out perfect but the potatoes were excellent. Carrie was sweet and said all was good but I know better.

Now I have to spout about the Tobacco Farm Camp. If I could use just one word to describe it the word would be fantasticastoundingawesomephenomenal! I walked around that old tobacco farm at least five times with cameras in hand. I officially have over 500 images. If I can narrow it to 20 I will be amazed. This place would make a great week-long photo club seminar location. Maybe I’ll approach the owners with that idea.


Here is my official review, which I posted to their web company:

Shirley and Gary (owners-managers) were very accommodating. The grounds were well kept. Reminding me of Bodie, CA, this old tobacco farm RV park is in arrested decay. The outbuildings serve as rustic (but safe) porches and lounges. And they are fantastic artistic photographic opportunities. Being a retired photographer/graphic designer, I took more than 500 images. Some will definitely become part of my fine art portfolio. So, especially to you artists out there, if you want a quiet, absolutely beautiful place to stay in your RV, or at the adjacent Lamplight B&B, I HIGHLY recommend The Tobacco Farm Camp and Lamplight Inn.

Saturday morning was put-everything-away-and-get-on-the-road day. And I did well. Didn’t forget anything, well almost. My shampoo ended up in the kitchen somewhere on the way to the Kitty Hawk, NC, area.

The route — US 158 east for about 160 miles —  was pleasant and took me through the “Great Dismal Swamp.” If that name doesn’t make you want to visit, what would? We reserved a site in an RV park not unlike most. Way too many amenities for me, but since it is off season it should be quiet.

We will be going to Kill Devil Hills to see the Wright Brothers National Monument on Monday. I have for many years wanted to see where all this aviation stuff started. And for one final thing, there are bears here. Riley was especially squirrely today on our walk, running from one smell to another, lingering longer on some. The photo here will explain why. Gonna keep the long lens camera handy. 


More to come…

2 comments:

  1. Ahh Kill Devil Hills... The outer banks are our favorite place to vacation! I highly recommend Jockey's Ridge State Park. It is just several miles south, in Nags Head. It's just beautiful! Especially if you stay for the sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As ever Mike what an awesome tale and more especially the pics. I adore the old wooden door. So what if the chicken didn't turn out quite as you liked - I'm absolutely certain it would still have been good, along with the company

    Hugs

    Choc

    ReplyDelete