Thursday, October 7, 2010

Shake-Down Cruise.

Being very new to the RV life I felt it necessary to try things out before we actually commence the trip. I considered parking in the back yard but decided that wouldn't be a true test. Cape May, NJ is great in the fall, and only 90 miles away, so that is where we are. Roz, Riley and me. We found an old-timey RV park. You know the ones without all the extras. No pool, hell I don't swim anyway. No spa, game-room, shuffle board court, just peace and quiet. But of course we are not camping so the electric hook-up, water and sewer are still necessary.The park owner / manager, Doug, is a Harley rider too. He has an 06 Road King. We chatted bikes for quite a while. It still amazes me how we riders tend to ratchet-jaw so easily.
Pop! Bang!, another acorn hits the roof and rolls off. The one annoyance in this park. Oaks dropping their acorns, and they don't stop after 'quiet hours.' How rude is that?

    It is hard to imagine but some essentials were forgotten. A can opener, coffee filters just to mention two. My trusty, ever on my belt Leatherman Super Tool came to the rescue. Never leave home without one. Paper towels make suitable coffee filters also. Oh and only enough dog food for Riley for one meal. So he had Cheerios with me for our first road breakfast. Don't fret they are the standard Cheerios without added sugar. He enjoyed having his own bowl and then was begging for some of mine.
My computer systems worked fine with one exception (detailed later). Systems? Did he say systems? Yes he did. Since I am heavy into digital photography and I will be living in Roz for at least a year I needed my graphics PC and big monitor. I also brought the laptop for backup. The one thing I can not bring is my awesome printer. It is just too large to bring. A somewhat smaller but equal in quality replacement is in the planning stages. Oh, and since I have the PC and stuff I also needed my surround sound. I am very pleased with how it all is working. As I type this I am listening to sixties music from my PC music library. Just like home! Even better, I can reach the fridge for a beer without getting out of my office chair. Shades of Homer Simpson. Mmmmmm Beer...Mmmmm! The Jack locker is a bit further, two whole steps.
The one thing that didn't work is, my graphics PC can not connect to the internet through my smart-phone. A software problem that will be solved. I need a computer geek. So for now smart-phone internet is only available to my laptop. Now aren't you glad you brought it as a back-up, Mike!

To sum it up the shake-down is serving it's purpose. I have a short list of things to modify and or purchase. We have eaten well and are generally pleased.

There is one funny Riley story that I have to pass on. This afternoon I was relaxing inside (power-nap style) and thought I heard some squirrels making a heck of a racket out by the picnic table. All off a sudden I hear Riley's attack growl followed immediately by  BAM! SLAM!  That was the screen door flying open and slamming against the outside wall. Startled from my semi-comatose state by this noise I spotted Riley's butt heading out the door at full speed. By the time I got out the door he was in the next camp-site (glad no one was there) sniffing all around under the trailer. Quickly I caught up to him and you could see by his expression that he knew he was in trouble. Maybe it was all my screaming and arm waving that clued him in. Ushering him unceremoniously back to Roz and pushing him rudely into a corner and yelling one of the most dreaded words in his people-speak dictionary, STAY!  And even worse BAD DOG! His look said “I'm sorry Dad.” but I wasn't giving in, for at least a couple minutes anyway. The next item on my to-do list is a more secure screen latch and lower screen protector.


OK, Little Eva's "Locomotion" is playing so it is time to go outside and watch the sun go down, have a good cigar and another beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment