Da Boy Riley has a new job here in Terlingua, namely he must water daily the plants on both sides of River Road from BJ's RV Park to Desert Sports. He takes me out with him every morning and since I really have nothing to do I use the time to contemplate the meaning of life and other mysteries. Today's musing was "Why am I so comfortable here in Terlingua?"
This town doesn't have a traffic light, no super stores, only one gas station, and no digital wireless signal. SO WHY? Me thinks 'tis because of all the aforementioned and one other major thing. I NEVER feel as if I have to be on guard. The daily stress burdan of urban chaotic life is lifted. My stride is lighter without that load.
No one is trying to take advantage of me or get more of my money than they deserve. People are always friendly and genuinely accommodating.
I bet that there is a study somewhere that show people living in these 'stress free' environs live a sizable time longer on average.
I mentioned this to Riley at the conclusion of today's sojourn and he said, "What? I just like to water the plants." We have decided that Terlingua must be our winter (and more) headquarters!
![]() |
| A view on our morning walks. |

"I NEVER feel as if I have to be on guard. The daily stress burdan of urban chaotic life is lifted. My stride is lighter without that load."
ReplyDeleteI think you nailed it, Mike. We feel the same way! Glad you're still loving it out here. We should get together again sometime soon.
Chris Miller