Friday, March 30, 2012

Mother Nature Does It Best

Bud, one of the park owners, took me on a bike ride through Big Bend Park and I will say it was a great ride. Good road, fantastic scenery, great weather. Intermingled with bits of local history, thanks to Bud, at the pull-outs/scenic views. Bud could easily be a tour guide. The road through the park was so scenic I decided to return and document it photographically. See that in the next blog.

And after that ride, Irene, the other park owner, took me on a second ride along FM 170 (FM is Farm to Market and RM is Ranch to Market roads -- it's how they name the state roads here in Texas). This was also a great ride, even though I had ridden this road before. The weather was hot when you stop but perfect when moving. This is a great time of the year to be riding in West Texas.

Around 9pm, while Riley and I were watching a movie, there were frequent lightning flashes. I went outside to investigate and was amazed to see a large thunderstorm a short distance to our northwest, just over Terlingua Ghost Town, and in full view in this big sky country.

I scrambled to get the tripod out, mounted the camera and walked a short distance towards the storm for a better view point. As the title of this writing says, Mother Nature does it best; it was an awe-inspiring show. Setting the camera for 30 second exposures, I took at least 20 separate images.

During a few of these exposures there were multiple cloud-to-cloud lightning strikes. The best of this grouping is posted here. I have waited many years to be in this perfect situation for photographs of lightning. That being, at a safe distance, not getting wet, and in full view. Yay for me!

Park owners Bud and Irene also run a scenic flying business in Minnesota (www.flyvanair.com) during the summer months. They were very busy getting the RV park ready for their return to Minnesota and also I think a bit camera shy so I did not get a photograph of them. I was sad to see them leave. Two new friends that I will see again when I return to Terlingua (next winter).

30 to 40 minutes of Mother Nature at her best.



Sunset over BJ's RV Park.

Chisos Mountains (in Big Bend Natl Park) at sunset. 180 degrees view from previous photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment