Monday, August 8, 2011

A new Talisman and a visit to an old friend.



Saturday, August 6
Today was the day for Arches National Park. WOW! Is this place amazing? You bet it is. I have one word to describe today, slightly different from the word for yesterday. 
Rex ready to tour the Arches.


StupendouslybreathtakingviewsofaweinspiringstoneformationsofMotherNature’screation.
 
I have been to Arches before so I was not as astounded as I was yesterday, but this place is beautiful in a very different way. One particular formation that drew me back is Balanced Rock. A few years ago my surrealistic composite photo of this spire won a second place award at a themed photography contest for the Philadelphia Sketch Club.

I arrived at the absolute worst time for photos (noon), but I nonetheless I visited my old stone friend. He is still there and as stately as ever. The park (especially Balanced Rock) was packed, so I decided to leave the heat and bad light of the day to the tourists. I went home, had a sandwich and took a nap. I was still drained from the heat of the day before.

This photo needs a little more than a caption. I have been collecting pebbles and small stones throughout this trip. I always have felt a connection to Balanced Rock and wanted to have one talisman from there. (I know you’re not supposed to do this, but hey.) Walking around the base I thought that if I am to have one it will call out to me. I scanned the ground and nothing grabbed my interest. That is until I stood directly beneath the giant top rock and there it was. Shaped similar to its parent, this sliver of sandstone is now to travel with me.
My newest Talisman.

About 7 pm, Rex took me back. It was so much better — minimal people and much better light, and a bonus of a half moon at the right place. I was the only photographer there. I hope my humble offerings please you.
What a difference 6 hours can make. Two photos from about
the same vantage point of the same HUGE rock.
Balanced Rock from the Southern side, at noon.


Balanced Rock from the northern side near sunset.
The moon was there but I have enlarged it some.
What fantastic shapes the twisted, gnarly Junipers are.

Same image as previous in B&W as I envision it.

I have begun testing my recently purchased new old film camera (a Toyo 45AII). I’m relearning the procedures, and figuring out how to develop film in Roz. There are still a few wrinkles to iron out. I will post the results here soon.

Oh, and the roads in Arches are fantastic also, offering smooth, clean pavement with lots of sweeping high-visibility turns. Please enjoy; I surely did.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome photos! Indeed what a difference a few hours can make :)

    - Jess M from Cardinal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Jess. Coming from you that is indeed a complement.

    ReplyDelete