I really have to repeat how much I enjoyed my time in Hattiesburg, MS. The weather was great — cool nights and warm, sunny days. But the real treat was meeting my friend Jo’s family. Her parents, Mary & Ben, and sisters Betty and Nancy. We had some fascinating conversations and great meals. Especially the BBQ. I had a full rack of ribs and half went back to Roz for the next day’s meal. Mmm.
Here is a photo of Mary, Ben and me at the Three Little Pigs BBQ shack. Cool hat, Ben. Also a photo of another lost American Icon, Beverly’s Drive-in Theater.
![]() |
| Mike - Mary - Ben |
![]() |
| My impression of what it could have looked like |
As with all trips, we had to part eventually but I promised to get back to Hattiesburg soon. I have one major regret; I failed to remember to have them sign my story stick. Damn! I have reserved a space for them the next time we meet.
The ride towards Texas was pleasant. Again opting for US routes instead of interstates, it took two driving days at our leisurely pace. I found another state park near Natchez, MS, and set sights on it. On this leg of our journey my mapping software failed me. There is a beautiful historical road called the Natchez Trace. It didn’t show up on the map. I stumbled upon it and drove it for a short distance. Note to self: Go back to the Natchez Trace, on Rex.
One harrowing thing did happen in Natchez while driving. I missed a road sign and ended up on a very narrow road with no place to turn around. Remember I am driving a 24-foot RV with a Jeep CJ in tow, in all about 40 feet long. Roz is about two feet wider than Mack so I cannot see him in the mirrors when going straight. All of a sudden the road shrunk down to one lane and an ominous sign appeared. “Logging trucks only from this point.” Oops, now what to do? I stopped and evaluated my options.
One option was to unhook Mack, back him up then backup Roz, turn both around and then re-hook. I didn’t like that choice. Noticing a small dirt road turn off about 40 yards behind us I decided to try to backup with Mack still hooked and then turn around there. Watching my mirrors we slowly started back. Keep in mind I cannot see Mack and when he would start to appear in the mirrors I would correct until he would disappear. Bragging a bit here I am proud to say we made it without jack-knifing. Reaching the dirt road we were able to make the very tight turn and get headed back in the right direction. Roz got some mud on her tires there. WHEW!
Passing through Louisiana we stopped at an official tourist info center and I made our lunch. While there Riley wanted a walk. I took him over to the large adjacent field, and he was having a great time. I think he sniffed out some field mice. He was darting left and right. He even did that pounce move wolves and coyotes do. He would stand up a little, with front legs a few inches off the ground and pounce back down with both legs hitting the ground at the same time. I really should have videoed that.
I saw an interesting lichen-encrusted wild vine on a fence and thought it would make an artsy photo. Here it is as I envisioned it.
![]() |
| Lichen, wild vine and barbed wire |
Now we are in Texas. Nacogdoches to be exact. I was treated to my second roast pork, collard greens, rice, gravy and homemade bread feast of this trip. Mmm, I had seconds and thought about thirds. My nephew Don sure can cook. I thoroughly enjoyed that great meal and I made sure Riley had some too.
Don and his wife Annette have four sweet lovely daughters. They are Jeannette, Chasity, Salena and Deborah. Wow, Don, six women and one man in this house (including my sister Alicia). I bet he doesn’t get a lot of bathroom time. ha ha
We are here for a bit, Mack is in need of some maintenance and I want to do modifications to Roz. More on that later.And to all my Tejas Cyclefish friends, send me a message. We have to get together.



photo 2 looks like something out of the movie "Cars"...I am sure that influenced your artistic interpretation :)
ReplyDeleteYes Amy I see what you mean. You are probably right. That marquee sign is so 50's 60's art deco.
ReplyDelete