Today Riley impressed me once again. Now remember, the boy had a bad couple of years before we met. He has difficulty with any dog he doesn’t know and especially if they show aggression towards him. He usually reacts quickly and with a lot of prejudice. I was sitting on the patio reading a book and Riley was sitting just “on guard,” so to speak. All of a sudden there was barking and rustling in the pine needles behind me.
A very handsome, young, but full-grown brindle-colored boxer was running loose. The boxer and Riley were playing a bit and sizing each other up. Thankfully there were no signs of aggression from either. I watched very pleased with my boy. This went on for about a minute until the owner of the boxer came over trying to corral his runaway pup. Walking with an empty leash dangling from his hand he kept trying to get close to the boxer. Well this boxer was too smart for that. He knew he was free and that leash meant captivity.
The owner never got closer than 10 feet of him. It really looked like the boxer was enjoying making his owner look foolish. I watched this poor guy walk all over the RV park following wherever the pup wanted to go. For at least 15 minutes I was treated to this show. Every once in a while the boxer would trot over to say hi to Riley and then when the owner got close he would bound off.
Soon some of the park workers using golf carts were trying to round up the dog. Again he was way too smart for that. Now imagine three people, two using golf carts, chasing this dog through the trees and open spaces. Comical to say the least! I seriously enjoyed it.
Now here is where Riley impressed me. I decided to assist in capturing this cavorting canine but feared Riley would interfere. Thinking it would be prudent to put him inside Roz, I pointed to the door and said, “Riley inside.” He immediately went in. WOW, in the midst of all this excitement he listened to me. GOOD BOY!
Back to the boxer. I could see he was a gentle dog and was just having fun with these humans. He was about 10 yards away from me. I slowly moved toward him and, when I was within about 10 feet, I got down to his level, held out my hand, and softly called him to me. “C’mon boy, good boy, good dog, here boy.” All the while I kept eye contact with him.
To my surprise he gingerly walked to me, sniffed my outreached hand and let me touch the top of his head. Mick Dundee and maybe Cesar Millan would have been proud. I slowly moved my hand to his choker, and secured a good grip on it, expecting him to bolt. He didn’t. The owner and two other dog wranglers stood there, mouths agape.
I think the owner was very embarrassed for he just muttered a low thanks and hurried off. The park people now call me the “Dog Whisperer.” A title I love, by the way. I was looking forward to meeting the pup today, learning his name, and maybe getting a photo of him for this blog but sadly he left with his owners early this morning. I’ll have to ask Riley what his name is.
No comments:
Post a Comment