I’m sitting around, frustrated with the weather. I want to take late afternoon photos at the Wright Brothers National Memorial, but for the last three days every afternoon has been heavy overcast or downright cloudy. The light just will not work for my vision.
It is a 50-minute ride, so trying to be somewhat frugal I choose not to waste gas traveling. Time is no issue; I have no schedule, save what Mother Nature’s weather makers conjure up.
I decide to give it a try anyway.
Driving there was not making me feel good about the decision. I mutter something about too damn many dark clouds. And wind — the winds are steady at 25mph and gusting to 40mph.
I follow the instructions I got from a park ranger on a previous trip, which lead me the back way into the memorial. I arrive close to a large pylon-like structure, a hulking granite obelisk that sits atop a 450-foot sand dune, which is my focus for today.
“OK, I am here so you gonna do this or not?” I ask myself. With one camera in hand, I heave my still-30-pound camera bag onto my shoulder and commence the modestly strenuous walk to the top.
Did I mention the wind? Brutal. I can barely stand up and take photos, and it’s close to throwing me off balance. And the closer to the top the stronger the gusts. It must be the Bernoulli Principle (I’m an aviation geek).
Despite the wind and the clouds, it looks like Wilbur and Orville want me to have a small victory. My 20 to 30 minutes atop Kill Devil Hill are punctuated with breaks of sunshine and blue sky. The sky closes in and darkens when I head back down the hill.
Thanks guys!
Here is one photo that, for me at least, expresses what these pioneers in aviation were about. Standing tall against the sky and not giving up. I shot it lying on my back, camera held overhead and upside down. Also a more traditional view of the same.
Photog’s note: When I was planning and doing these I kept seeing mental images of Imogene Cunningham’s photos of structures in the Grand Coulee area. Thanks for the inspiration, Imogene.
More Peach Things
I’m modest when I brag about my famous peach pancakes. They’re famous because they’re not just peach topping, but blended peach pulp and peach chunks throughout the cake. Plus I add another secret ingredient. The breakfast (lunch and snack) menu for today included those famous cakes with good ole Bob Evans sausage. MMMmmmm they were great, especially with real maple syrup.



Awesome pics as ever Mike - and I could just eat some of those pancakes lol
ReplyDelete